Quality Pet Care at Affordable Prices
Call Los Lunas Vetco: 505-865-0662

dog_cat_flag

Next week is the 4th of July and I know we are getting excited for it. We love to go watch the fireworks on base and hang out with our friends for a BBQ. As much fun as it is for us, it is not always that great for our pets.

  • STAY HOME. You don’t have to stay home, but resist bringing your pets out. I know that it is fun to put Fido in the car and bring him to the celebration. But with all the noise and activity this can be more upsetting than fun for your pet.
  • STAY INSIDE.  Fireworks are loud and often really scary for your pets. Give your pet a safe room where he can feel comfortable and escape the noise. If he is crate trained put him in his crate covered with a blanket to make him feel secure. You can even block out some of the sound by turning on soothing music or the television.
  • QUELL ANXIETY. If your pet seems overly anxious, spend some time with your pet, speaking soothingly to help them to relax. You can put lavender on their collar, as the smell is a natural anti-anxiety, or try adding some rescue remedy to their water.
  • NO TABLE SCRAPS. The sauce from the BBQ and spices can upset their stomach. If you do give them scraps, make sure not to give them things like onions, avocado, grapes and raisins can be toxic. Check out some or our dog food and dog treat recipes to give them as a special treat instead of sharing yours.
  • AVOID SPRAYS…and other chemicals. Avoid spraying your pet with insect repellent and only use special sunscreen that is intended for animal use. Your dog’s fur protects them from mosquitos and the sun. If you are going to be in grassy areas, or in the mountains, or out on the mesa, give them a treatment of Frontline Flea and Tick to keep them protected from those little buggies. Keep your pets away from matches and lighter fluid. They can be extremely irritating to the stomach, lungs and central nervous system, if ingested. If you dog does ingest lighter fluid, call your vet immediately!
  • NO ALCOHOL! Alcohol poisonous pets. If ingested, your pet could become very intoxicated and weak, severely depressed or could go into a coma. Death from respiratory failure is also a possibility in severe cases. If your pet drinks an alcoholic beverage, call your vet immediately!
  • DO DECORATIONS. Save the hats and streamers for your and the kids but keep it off your pets. Most of the time they hate it and it can cause anxiety. They may also try to eat it, which can cause serious stomach upset as many things are toxic.
  • NO FIREWORKS. While exposure to lit fireworks can potentially result in severe burns and/or trauma to the face and paws of curious pets. Fireworks are very toxic. Keep any fireworks out of the reach of your pets. If your pet eats some fireworks, call your vet immediately.

If you do bring your pet out, make sure that they have their microchip, so if they get away from you they can be easily returned home. Also make sure you vaccinations are up to date, at our daily walk-in shot clinic, so they don’t catch anything from other dogs.

Click for
Shot Clinic Hours Our shot clinic hours vary, please call to confirm 505-865-0662

Google Map

2510 Main St. NE #1 Los Lunas, NM Phone: (505) 865-0662

Veterinarian Clinic Website: www.loslunasvetco.com

Disclaimer

The information provided on this website is written by Vetco staff. All information is meant to be informational and is not meant as veterinary advice. If you have a health question regarding your pet, their treatment or anything concerning their veterinary care, please call Vetco to consult with a veterinarian.