Quality Pet Care at Affordable Prices
Call Los Lunas Vetco: 505-865-0662

Poinsetta: Pretty or Poison for Your Pets?

Poisonous Poinsettia

Poinsettias are beautiful holiday plants that fill our houses. They are great gifts and typify this season. However, are they as poisonous as they are beautiful….well not as much as a lot of people thing.

Poinsetta’s are toxic to cats and dogs, but only mildly toxic. The plant has a milky white sap that has a chemical called diterpenoid euphorbol esters. Is it possible for your dog or cat to get poinsettia poisoning? Yes but it is not very likely and typically don’t require medical treatments unless they are very severe or persistent.

Signs of Poinsettia Poisoning

  • Drooling
  • Licking lips
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Skin irritation (including redness, swelling, and itchiness)
  • Eye irritation

If the symptoms last more than a day, or your pet has thrown up more than 3 times, call your Los Lunas veterinarian because your dog or cat may need veterinary treatment.

So if you set our your beautiful Poinsettia and your dog or cat won’t leave it alone, you may want to put it out of reach, otherwise you should be fine to use this decorative festive plant.

Click for
Shot Clinic Hours Our shot clinic hours vary, please call to confirm 505-865-0662

Google Map

2510 Main St. NE #1 Los Lunas, NM Phone: (505) 865-0662

Veterinarian Clinic Website: www.loslunasvetco.com


The information provided on this website is written by Vetco staff. All information is meant to be informational and is not meant as veterinary advice. If you have a health question regarding your pet, their treatment or anything concerning their veterinary care, please call Vetco to consult with a veterinarian.