dangers of candy and dogs

It is easy to forget that a lot of human food or human food additives can be very dangerous to our dogs. It is not something we really think about. They like it so what can be wrong with it? Did you know that xylitol is toxic to your dog? Many people do not realize it.

What is xylitol anyway?

It is a substitute that is commonly used in place of sugar. It is naturally found in things like plums, berries, oats, mushrooms, and other plants. It chemically is a sugar alcohol. In commercial use, it is commonly extracted from birch and hardwood trees as well as vegetable material. Xylitol is often used in gum and candies as a sugar substitute. A lot of people choose gum with xylitol because it has less sugar and is better for them. But that does not mean it is better for your canine.

How is it used?

Xylitol is available in many products these days. It is in gummies, candies, baked goods, breath mints, pudding, toothpaste cough syrup, drugs and so much more. It is hard to avoid it these days and is commonly used in so many products. It is super sweet with only two thirds of the calories found in sucrose. This makes it a great candidate to put in many food items. While this is safe for us it is toxic to your dog!

What does it do to my dog?

The symptoms of xylitol poisoning can include vomiting. It can cause your dogs blood sugar to suddenly lower and a decrease in activity. You may observe weakness, staggering, collapse and even possibly seizures. Because it is used in so many over that counter products the danger is not just in food products. We all know that one dog that had chewed up a tube of toothpaste or other random items.

If you think your dog may have ingested xylitol at all it is important to contact an emergency vet immediately. This is not a wait and see how it goes situation. Do not try to induce vomiting in your dog without guidance from a vet. Your dog will likely require hospitalization but if you can get them in before symptoms occur the chances of survival can be increased. There is no cure for xylitol poisoning. The vet will help your dog get through the symptoms of it and hopefully, he will be ok.

A couple of tips. Keep all items out of your dogs reach that contain xylitol. Never use human toothpaste to brush their teeth. Keep all candies well out of reach also. Please do not wait with xylitol poisoning contact us right away so that we can try to do everything possible to help your dog.